MIA – Advanced – 5 Year
The comprehensive High School Impact Awareness curriculum can be used by any agency that works with high school aged youth and that has a mission of supporting preventative marijuana education. This curriculum goes in depth in helping youth understand the differences between the impacts of adult and youth marijuana use as well as medicinal and recreational use and is intended to be facilitated by a health or science teacher, mental health worker, law enforcement officer, or other youth services provider in a school or youth services agency.
Marijuana Education Initiative Prevention Curriculum
Target Audience: High school-aged youth
Administration: This curriculum can be used by any agency that works with youth and that has a mission of supporting early, preventative substance abuse.
This curriculum is intended to be facilitated by a health or science teacher, mental health worker, law enforcement officer, or other youth services provider in a school or youth services agency.
SEL Workbook highly recommended (sold separately)
At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the effects marijuana has on their body, brain, and behavior
- Understand the risks associated with marijuana use
- Distinguish the differences between marijuana for medical use and marijuana for recreational use
- Understand how marijuana works in the brain
- Understand how neurotransmitters and receivers work in the brain
At the completion of this program, participates will know:
- How THC mimics anandamide and how each substance works in the brain
- The difference between two compounds in the marijuana plant, THC and CBD, and how they affect the body
- Specific details about the risks associated with marijuana use, particularly use by youth
- The impacts marijuana use has on the brain
- Which medical conditions medical marijuana treats
- The impact smoking or vaping has on the lungs and other body systems
- Five engaging marijuana prevention units, each 45 minutes long:
- How marijuana works
- Marijuana and the brain
- Marijuana and the body
- Marijuana as medicine
- The risks of marijuana use
- Activity, lecture, and discussion based
- Web-based PowerPoint delivery
- Lessons align with National Health Education standards
- Lessons align with SEL programming and competency areas
Purchase grants one user, individual use of course materials for a period of one year from date of purchase. This contract is extendable. Multi-year discounts available, contact us for details.