Marijuana Impact Awareness in Elementary School
This program begins to lay the foundation for effective youth marijuana prevention by reaching youth during their elementary years. The program approaches issues such as marijuana’s impact on the developing brain and body as well as edible and labeling awareness to prevent accidental ingestion.
Marijuana Education Initiative Prevention Curriculum
Target Audience: Elementary school-aged youth
Administration: This curriculum can be used by any agency that works with youth and that has a mission of supporting early, preventative substance abuse.
This curriculum is intended to be facilitated by a health or science teacher, mental health worker, law enforcement officer, or other youth services provider in a school or youth services agency.
At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Discuss factors that affect brain functioning, including marijuana
- Explain how marijuana works in the brain to modify behavior
- Identify symbols that represent a marijuana product (edible awareness)
- Understand which components of marijuana can be used medicinally
- Understand how marijuana can affect the body
At the completion of this program, participates will know:
- The difference between two compounds in the marijuana plant, THC and CBD, and how they affect the body
- Specific details about the risks associated with marijuana use, particularly use by youth
- The impacts marijuana use has on the brain
- Which medical conditions medical marijuana treats
- The impact marijuana has on the lungs and other body systems
- Three engaging marijuana prevention units, each 30 minutes long:
- Marijuana and the brain
- Marijuana and the body and edible awareness
- Marijuana as medicine
- Activity, lecture, and discussion based
- Web-based PowerPoint delivery
- Lessons align with National Health Education standards
Purchase grants one user, individual use of course materials for a period of one year from date of purchase. This contract is extendable. Multi-year discounts available, contact us for details.